Thomas Dhellemmes has been passionate about photography since his childhood. After studying visual arts, he went to live in the Cape Verde Islands. When he moved back to Paris, he decided to dedicate himself entirely to photography. He developed personal artistic projects while earning a living by doing photography commissions (lifestyle, gastronomy, luxury...) with Atelier Mai 98, the creative photographic studio he founded.
Thomas Dhellemmes has primarily expressed himself by using his Polaroid SX 70 camera. He likes the timelessness, uniqueness and slowness of every picture. The camera’s imprecision gives the spectator a total freedom of interpretation. As a traveling photographer, Thomas Dhellemmes continually searches for a moment of absolute grace. His photographs speak of existence and of the fragility of life with its ephemeral nature. He nurtures a mysterious distance with each subject
“ Jour bleu is a voyage into my intimate life. My images are enigmatic, imprecise and damaged, like abstractions similar to painting. This resembles my memories that, over the years, have slowly been erased from my recollections. All that remain from these voyages are moments of abundance, of happiness. A moment each person has already felt in his life. A timeless, universal moment. “
The meeting happened on a summer day in Tangiers. And then the years passed. But the blue, resembling silence, remains. Inhabited. Full. Tahar Ben Jelloun’s words coexist with Thomas Dhellemmes’ images taken on his blue, melancholic, uncertain days. He began to write poems without a specific project in mind. Just writing, under the open sky, on the sea, by a cross. He knew nothing about the places, dates or countries Thomas had crossed in moments plucked from the past with extreme softness.
Julie Estève, writter
Follow this artist
National School of Applied Arts ans Crafts in Paris (ENSAAMA)
- "Cook Book Awards France"in the category « Life Style », with Cuisine en famille, M6 Editions
- "Best Hard Cover Recipe Book" by le Cordon Bleu World Food Media Awards, with Pains, éditions Hachette Pratique
- Nomination to "James Beard Foundation Award"(USA), with Décadents Desserts (english version of Souvenirs Gourmands de Vaux-le-Vicomte), éditions Flammarion
- "Special Awards of the Jury" by Gourmand World Cook Book Awards, with Souvenirs Gourmands de Vaux-le-Vicomte, Editions Flammarion
- Laureate « Prix Images » of the 26th Prix Jasmin(French Perfume Committee), with the photophraphs illustrating the article by, « Mon Parfum est un roman », Paris-Match, October 18, 2007
- "Cook Book Awards France"in the category « Best Cook Book Photography » and « Best Single Subject Food Book », with Epices, éditions Hachette Pratique.
- "World Cook Book Awards" in the category « Best Chocolate Book », with Les Sept Péchés du Chocolat, éditions Hachette Pratique.
Publication of "Légumineux"
1987 – 1988 : Cultural animator at the Cape Verde Cultural Center
1988 – 1998 : Photographer at Studio Oasis
Depuis 1998 : Creation and Manager of Studio l’Atelier Mai 98